Monday, October 29, 2007

Revenge of the GD

Gestational Diabetes has hit me with a vengeance. Last week I began tracking my diet and blood sugar levels via finger prick, and I'm having a hard time keeping my levels where they should be. I'm cracking down now because I really don't want to be put on insulin shots! I'm disappointed that I can no longer eat with gusto like I've been doing for awhile now since the nausea faded away. It's been enjoyable, I never had that in my first pregnancy. Unfortunately I'm beginning to wonder if the GD is worse this time, just like the morning sickness was worse earlier on. The things I used to eat when I had GD in the first pregnancy are not working so well this time. I have no idea what to eat for breakfast, for instance. Used to be one bowl of Cheerios did the trick with a sugar-free yogurt snack mid-morning, and now the Cheerios give me headaches and the Atkins yogurt is no longer available. A scrambled egg for some reason made me feel really ill. I'm a bit lost, but I'll figure it out. I'm 30 weeks now, so I only have 10 weeks to go, so that's good. So the strict GD diet and blood sugar maintainance should just be the last two months. That's not so terrible. Last time it was much longer. Tho I am sorry to miss all the Halloween goodies, and the inability to eat pumkin pie is killing me!

1 comment:

ChickiePea said...

I'm so sorry you're feeling cruddy with food. It's been quite a struggle for me to find foods that agree with me this time too. I don't have GD, but I've had thrush and very severe acid reflux for almost the entire pregnancy, as well as morning sickness.
One thing that worked for me for awhile was an all alkaline diet. You can google for alkaline foods, or I can email you my list that I compiled if you want.

Hang in there! Not much longer!!