Thursday, October 4, 2007

Changes Might Be Challenging for Big Brother

Recently our glider (a type of rocking chair) Tyler affectionately calls "Tylo blue chair!" broke down. The gliding mechanism is metal, and the upstanding pole that meets the base of the chair severed itself right off. I took the sharp base-half to hide it in my closet, and Tyler chased me all the way crying and carrying on about his blue chair. We have to get a new one (will do a different construction this time) and I doubt it will be blue. Poor kid. I'm just not sure what to do for him. He has to learn about change, or loss, of things that break. He also has to deal with my moving furntiture around for the new baby...

A few days ago emptied the toys out and put the top half back on our pack-n-play, turning it from a toddler size playpen back to a size for a newborn, including the changing table attachment. We used this for Tyler's downstairs digs when he was just born and when I had just given birth and wasn't supposed to do stairs for awhile. Tyler was very upset when I put the parts back on the pack-n-play. He tried to rip it back off, crying "bed! bed!" Since he knows he can sleep in a pack-n-play, he doesn't want this one changed. (He noticed later that I finished it when he wasn't looking, and he's coping okay.)

Makes me wonder about the other changes I have planned. Our bedroom won't be all toys anymore, it will have the bassinett again, and a new rocking chair. Eventually he'll also get his new toddler bed set up in his room. Changes, changes. I'll be as gentle as I can, but he'll have to work through it, I guess.

No comments: