Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Ben as the new Mia Farrow or Angelina Jolie?

Last night I dreamt that Ben got his oft-expressed wish that we could win the lottery and he could be a stay-at-home dad with zillions of kids. We had a different house, with a screened-in porch in the back with a long table for breakfast, and a big lower floor that was full of bunk-beds. In the dream there were kids everywhere, of all ages and ethnicities, doing all kinds of activities. It was chaotic. I guess we knew of a woman (she was vaguely Latina, or should that be Hispanic?) who kept having kids and we kept adopting them all to keep them together. There were like 8! There were all kinds of kids, in addition to Tyler and a girl of our own. And I was pregnant like I am now. In the dream, I was very angry with Ben because he brought home two infants under 3 months, each with some kind of high-maintanence problem. One was a little redhead and was very fat, he could barely open his eyes. The other was a quiet little brunette boy with serious facial deformaties and I said to Ben, "We can't afford to give him surgery!" Ben said "He doesn't need surgery." I yelled "Of course he does, if we're going to be his parents we have to provide surgical help, we can't just let him grow up like that!" And he said, "All he needs is for us to love him, and he'll [magically] get better." (Ben would never say something so whifty in real life.) I was so angry I took my breakfast back out to the porch table which was by then abandoned because of the rainstorm outside. I sat and ate my cereal in the cold, windy rain, which felt good.

When I woke up I was still annoyed at Ben. I told him about it and we made a joke that is still going on. I told him "Do me one favor today: Please, please don't pick up any more babies without calling me first!" Ben refused to promise this, he said he had three more orphaniges to visit today, and that they would be disappointed. I said "Too bad, we need space between adoptions so that we can give each new baby the attention it deserves." And that I wondered if he could take one of the two new infants back, as they were more than I could handle. He said I was heartless, and that I obviously did not love our many kids as much as I should. He pretended to be telling the kids to pack up in the next room, and made me laugh, and really cheered me up this morning. And I kept thinking that actually, that little red-headed baby was awfully cute!

No comments: