Tuesday, October 9, 2007

More Strange Dreams

Last night I dreamt that Buffy the Vampire Slayer took me to the ER, where she patrolled the halls while I was talking to the doc. I told the doc that I had had unprotected sex with a vampire (that wasn't actually in the dream) and that I worried that I had a second, unnatural (as in supernatural) pregnancy that had taken hold in the fallopian tube (an ectopic pregnancy) and that the second pregnancy would threaten the current, normal pregnancy. At first he wouldn't listen, and he wanted to test me for STDs, but I told him vampires have only vampirism to spread. He said "where does it hurt?" and I indicated my right side over my ovary. I told him it really hurt, and in the dream, it did. It got worse and worse. And I could feel my baby swiping at the area, pressing against the uterus. Then the dream faded. I wonder if I did have some pain in my sleep, because I woke up with some soreness.

Saturday night I dreamt I went to Loyola and had the baby there, and it was a girl with dark brown hair. It was nighttime outside and there weren't enough lights on in the hospital. I kept trying to keep the baby and get it back from the nurses who wanted to do so many tests. And in this dream my anxiety seemed to be about the breastfeeding. She had trouble latching on, and I kept trying. The baby and I sort of went all Salvador Dali in the dream, with my "girls" elongating like udders, and the baby elongating and appearing almost partly grown-up in facial aspect. She kept growing, even though I could not get her enough milk. It was very strange. She was kind of like a Taltos, if you follow the fiction of Anne Rice.

This one is not about the baby, just throwing it in here b/c it left such an impression:

Last night, after the vampire pregnancy dream, I had another dream, this time about my Grandma who passed this past summer. I was back at Grandma & Aunt Cathy's house, and I was looking at a new project my Uncle Donny was doing, building special shelves for his DVD collection, in the basement, which was morphed partly into the old house Grandma used to have in Stone Mountain. Then Poopop walks in and touches this nice old-fashioned twin bed, with intricate woodwork on the headboard and baseboard. I could smell his pipe smoke, that Poopop smell. He told me it was a great bed, sturdy and dependable, and lightweight, excellent for bringing out for guests. Then he disappeared. Grandma came and went. She was wearing pajamas and a robe, which she has worn in past dreams recently, I don't know why. For me, she was alive again. She called me "sweetie-pie" like she used to. Aunt Cherry stopped by with knitting in her hands, and I said it's such a shame we don't live nearby because Grandma and Cherry could come over for craft dates at my house. Then she was gone, and I was asking my Aunt Cathy if I could take an unfinished quilt/needlework/wall-hanging Grandma had left so I could finish it in her honor (btw, Grandma was a painter), but Aunt Cathy wasn't sure. Then I looked at it more closely and realized I could never do it, that I didn't have the skill to do it. For some reason that broke my heart, and I buried my face in it and dug my fingers into the cushy part that was made of yarn, and sobbed, saying "I can't do it, I can't do it." In the dream I woke up from the dream, realizing that Grandma and Poopop were gone, and Ben was holding me, and I sobbed and sobbed while he ran his fingers though my hair. Then I woke up for real, feeling a great sadness, and Ben was asleep.

No comments: