Sunday, December 30, 2007

Second Doula Interview Great!

We met with another doula, this one also an Oak Parker, who specializes in hypnotherapy. I'm not doing the hypnotherapy aspect, but this also means she is very skilled in talking you thru a contraction with a soothing voice and she--her name is Tanya--did an example for me and she's wonderful! She can work with the yoga and knows the positions. But also, get this, she's also a labor & delivery nurse, an R.N., and has been doing this for over 20 years. Technically that makes her not just a doula but what's called a monitrice, and she seems to know just everything there is to know about birthing. She also does massage, and is very supportive of Ben's role as coach. She also has an intricate knowledge of what the nurses need to get done and how to stall them from wisking the baby away while she helps me get that first latch. She's more expensive than the last doula we interviewed, but she feels like "the one." This is weird, I know, but after she left I told Ben, "she smells good." I can't explain it, but I'm going with my gut feelings. Natalie was great, I'm sorry, but after just one interview we are instinctively drawn toward Tanya. She also has a website, just Google Tanya Mchale. Tanya really impressed me as a more mature and experienced and assertive doula who will step into the fire for us and really advocate for what we want at the hospital. She also is very warm and has a great hug. More later after we have our prenatal visit in a few days.

No comments: