Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Prenatal Doula Visit

Well Tanya came over and we reviewed our birth plan and various pain management and laboring techniques. It was great. She really knows the various laws pertaining to baby's newborn care, as well as the effects of bonding on development and how to get that precious first hour and a half of wakefulness before the baby does it's first long sleep post birth. I feel like we've learned a lot today. I can't possibly recall it all here, but you get the idea. We have a plan for the labor, and will labor at home as long as we can and get to the hospital in more active labor but certainly before transition phase. She'll be able to check the position of the baby and adjust by pressure points on the pelvis--I'm sure I'm not explaining this perfectly. We also upon admission will get an Ob order to get the lactation consultants at the hospital to come sooner than their usual visit just before we are let out. But if that doesn't work well for us she knows several good local lactation consultants and Tanya will be on call for help as well those first few days. Well, I'm not sure what else to say. I feel so much better now that we have an advocate and someone who will stick with us and help me thru labor. I feel better about a lot of my fears.

No comments: