Sunday, December 23, 2007

Doula Interview Sunday

We all slept in after the eventful family Solstice, what with its crazy-driver hard play and hours of contractions for me, and we were barely ready for Natalie the doula when she showed up on time at 10 a.m. Why did I choose such an early time? Sheesh.

She seems really great, meets all my expectations, and from my earlier description of her you can throw in aromatherapy. She also brings a kit with birth ball and whatnot to the birth. She can definitely work with my yoga and yogic breathing (pranayama). She also is very inclusive of Ben and his role of coach and her interaction with him was great. She seems very laid back and open to our preferences.

The only thing was that Ben and I did not have a struck-by-lightning "this-is-the-one" feeling like we got when we met our new doctor. I don't know, it's probably not fair to expect that of her, or of everyone we encounter in this birth experience. But she's good and I would be happy with her.

Tyler really liked her, and after initially telling her "bye bye" instead of hello, he warmed up to her, kept interrupting, trying to bring her toys or entice her onto the floor with him, and even a week later he is still asking for her!

I have one other doula to talk to and after that will make a quick decision. (If "quick" is something that can ever be ascribed to anything I ever do!)

I guess the weird thing that strikes me about all this is how I'm striving to get together a team to assist in the birth experience, but really they are all strangers--or rather I should call them newbies or something less alienating--altho they are experts. Hospital, doctor, nurse, doula, dad/coach, maybe aunt. Most of them are new to me and there I have to get half nude and push out a baby with all the sweat, blood, tears, and other unnamable bodily fluids that come with it! At the time, tho, I know I will no longer care who sees what!

Natalie has been a doula for 6 years and attended 62 births. None of this stuff will be new to her! But still, we had to chuckle after she left. We were so embarrassed that while she was here, we offered her coffee and then Ben didn't know how to make it, and she asked for cream and we only had whole milk; then I tried to subtly hide a box of Summer's Eve wipes that Tyler had taken from the bathroom and played with and left on the table, and ended up dropping the box right in front of her; we forgot to turn up the heat and she had her scarf on the whole time; Ben sat in the glider I got recently and a spring loudly broke; and at the end when she used the bathroom it was out of toilet paper and Ben had to run upstairs for another roll! Ben said, she might as well know now what kind of people we are!

Oh, well.

No comments: