Wednesday, August 22, 2007

20-Week Ultrasound

And it's a . . . baby!

It looks like a healthy baby to us. We will get the full report next week Friday. The technician measured 7 markers for downs, like kidneys, malformations of the pelvis, and others I can't remember how to pronounce. I feel like I hardly care almost, it was so awesome to see "her" move around!

I cannot confirm any gender. Maybe next ultrasound. The legs were crossed. However, I'm still going to call it a "her"!!! I'm glad, really. I want the birth to be a surprise, to create some excitement. Most people have it scheduled and named and so planned that you hardly need to call anybody to hear what happened. We are picking out boy and girl names, and keeping them secret. Tee hee hee!

I brought a whole troop with me, with Ben, Tyler, and Nana all in tow. Nana had never seen an ultrasound and I wanted her to get to see one b/c I'm not having any more babies after this one! Tyler did pretty well. He'd get worried about Mom-Mom and call out to me, but Ben would pick him up to see me and I would talk to him happily and that satisfied him. We explained that we were looking at pictures of the baby in Mom-Mom's belly, but he was more interested in the glowing colors on the keyboard. We got him away in time.

The technician was so nice this time (unlike for Tyler's) and she let us all watch the screen w/ her and explained what was what all the time. She really knew what she was talking about and answered all of our bizarre questions. We saw the heart beating, and the brain tissue through the top of the skull, and the dark spot of stomach there in the big round belly, and little bitty feet and toes! You don't get cuter than the toes! "She" was moving her arms around a lot, opening her mouth like a fish, and flexing her fingers. She even gave us a thumbs-up!

I just have a good feeling about it. Of course I want to hear what the report says next Friday. But I have this warm inner feeling, and I'm just enjoying it right now! Ah, there she kicked again!

4 comments:

Holli said...

Hey! I resemble that remark! I knew my boys were boys, knew what their names would (probably) be, and toward the end, even knew when they were scheduled to arrive (via induction), but I don't think that detracted from ANY of the excitement around the birth. Even if you find out the gender, there is still so much to discover: What will the baby look like? Will he have an adorable freckle, like my Max did (does)? Will she spend her first few minutes roaring at the injustice of her ejection, or sweetly and placidly looking around to match the faces with the voices she's been hearing for months? I agree that it's nice to be surprised, but I also think that will happen no matter what you *think* you know in advance. That's the beauty of this whole thing...

Holli said...

P.S. Didn't mean to write an essay there!

Holli said...

Oh! And one more thing, since I'm putting my 2 cents in. My mom and other family also reported that it didn't take away any of the excitement for them either. (I had the same concern.) To them, it made the preparations more fun/real, and the anticipation of meeting the little men that much sweeter.

Miss Val said...

Well of course you're right, and I often go back and forth about the surprise decision. It would be exciting to know, and to prepare, especially if it's a different gender than the first baby was. I think I probably should have done it the other way around--let the first baby be a surprise and the second one find out the gender. But, oh well.

Even if we knew the gender, the most exciting thing is to see what the baby looks like, is it healthy, and touch the fingers and toes. When my cousin had hers we knew everything ahead of time but I still couldn't get enuf of the pictures!

We're just doing this one this way in, hopefully, a spirit of fun. And who knows, there's probably going to be another ultrasound, you never know, we may change our minds! (I go back and forth, but Ben is pretty stubborn!)