Monday, July 2, 2007

Nervous About Tests Today

Today I'm going into the city (Chicago) for some tests that involve an ultrasound and a blood draw. They measure the thickness of the skin on the back of the fetus's neck, takes like and hour and a half. This tests for Down's Syndrome and other more drastic forms of Trisomy. I'm 36, so they panic about stuff like this. These tests are 60% accurate at indicating whether the fetus might have some trouble, and if so, they recommend another test later in the pregnancy that, combined with this one, give a 90% picture of what to expect. This makes me all so nervous. I'd love to have an old-fashioned pregnancy, where I know nothing until the baby is born. I also wish, in this old-fashioned vision, that I could stay home and eat and sleep all day--be an invalid. I'm such a poor exhuse for a worker/driver/housekeeper (hah!)/mom! Anyway... It will be good to see the baby on the screen, and see/hear that it is okay. All I feel is sick and fat, I'm anxious to feel it kick or roll inside me, to feel that there is a real fetus in there, that I'm not just imagining everything! I'll give you an update after the test!

No comments: