Saturday, July 21, 2007

Prenatal Yoga Kicks My Butt

First, let me just say that I wasn't the LATEST person to get to class!

And secondly, let me say that I certainly UNDERSTOOD all of the instructions the teacher was giving us, the names of poses, etc. And in my defense I haven't done ANY yoga since Tyler was maybe 3 months old, and he's almost 2 years old now! So, admitedly, I'm a bit out of shape. AND very sore!!!!!!

Ouch! Well, I have 6 months (approx) left to get in shape!

Most embarrassing moment in class: Yes, it was me who brought violence into the peaceful yoga classroom. We partnered up by the walls for a modified downward dog (kind of upward instead) and this icky spider comes scooting down her line from a vent above toward my partner's back. So I interrupted her stretch to ask her to move over this way and then pointed out the spider. She was appreciative. But then the teacher was wondering what the problem was and I grabbed my folded blanket (one of our props) and was ready to kill it, then I said, doubtfully, realizing what I was doing, "Can I do violence in yoga class?" and she said "No. Spiders eat mosquitoes. Just find another spot." I was abashed, and my heart was pounding.

Yes, me, the one w/ violence in her heart!! ;-) Oh, well.

The only negative from the class was the inexplicable anger I felt afterward, instead of feeling "blissed out" as I used to always do. Somehow the class wasn't what I expected or wanted, and yoga has been so important to me, and yet even pregnant there were all these in-shape women showing no signs of trouble and I was the only one modifying my poses or stopping early. Like even in pregnancy I'm the fat one or the slow one. Half the poses felt like I was faking it, I wasn't "in" my body, and my attempt to meditate at the end of class was a total failure. I've been doing yoga for at least 5 years, I thought I was good at it, and it used to bring me peace. What's going on?

And I REALLY wanted to kill that spider. Some kind of Buddhist I am!

1 comment:

ChickiePea said...

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission. Next time, squash that bitch! Apologize later! LOL