Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Nausea Medicine Update

My friend asked, in response to this blog, how it's going w/ the nausea medication. Well, it really helps. But it doesn't wipe out the symptoms altogether. (It's called Zofran by the name-brand name, and Ondensetron by the generic. It's very safe, and was originally used for patients undergoing chemotherapy.)

When I first wake up I haven't eaten all night and I get sick, it can't be helped. Then I take one of these, which melts on the tongue and has immediate effect, right before breakfast. (It doesn't prevent the morning sick, I'm too far gone by that point.) It lasts about 6 hours. It makes my morning commute less miserable, but still I find it helps to eat in the car. I take another after lunch. My evenings are bad, usually, despite the medicine. But sometimes I have good evenings.

The thing is that it really takes the edge off, but doesn't eliminate it entirely. And some days my hormones go thru what seems like a surge. It varies. When I'm having a bad day, if I don't get enuf sleep, if I don't eat well or don't get a nap when I really need one, well, there's only so much the medicine can do. And you can't double up on it. I tried once and got a terrible stomach pain for quite a while. While hormones fluctuate and how you take care of yourself varies, the medicine stays the same. Also, it is not in a time-release pill, so it fades over time.

Still, I'm grateful for it. Forgot to take it one afternoon and I was as miserable as I was in the beginning, pre-zofran. It was a reminder of how much help it really does give me!

No comments: