Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Ultrasound Results

Ben and I went to a special testing center in Chicago (connected to Northwestern University Medical Center) for our first ultrasound and a blood test. The blood test screens for two types of proteins, both of which, if high enough, indicate a possibility for Downs Syndrome or other more extreme forms of Trisomy (genetic disorders). The ultrasound was used to measure the amount of fluid in the neck tissue, which also if high enough indicates the possibility of Downs or other Trisomy (having to do with chromosomal abnormalities). Excessive fluid in a little pocket behind the spine is commonly present in such cases. The two screenings, when combined, provide about 90% accuracy in predicting any trouble.

Good news right away: The measurement of fluid is low, within normal measures, and does not indicate any trouble. The blood screening results will come back Friday, so I'll add any note if I hear anything. If bad news, I will get a call right away. No news is good news!

I was very nervous to go to the ultrasound, as if, if I go, it ups my chances of having a Downs baby. I know that's magical thinking, but, well, I admit to it! I know that Downs babies are happy kids who can be productive in society as adults but Ben and I don't feel prepared for such a thing--as if you are ever "prepared" for any such thing! Everyone hopes for a healthy baby.

Due to our ages our chances are higher for such things, including autism, which my aunt says is the "disability du jour" these days, as men are having more babies at later ages (40 is the catch age for men having autistic babies, while 35 is the age for women having Downs babies). Musing on the subject, we might be more "prepared" for an autistic child, since we know of resources and family members w/ austism who are another resource. Not to mention my CP cousin and his brave family. Is my thinking a little dark on the subject? Perhaps. Perhaps just being practical. The medical establishment does tend to freak out a little when you pass 35, and prompt you to think about things you might not have done otherwise. There is one more blood test I will undergo at 16 weeks, more on that when the time comes.

Anyway, the ultrasound on Monday was very quick and painless, and I felt so so so excited to see the little fetus wiggling around! Unlike Tyler, this one does not "run" away from every instrument like ultrasounds, dopplers, moniters, etc., but was quiet and cooperative. Hum... a different personality already! Despite the concerns about various disabilities, the ultrasound really gave me a boost and I feel I have my hopes up about it, and begin to feel excited to meet this little person and learn more about their new unique personality!

No comments: