Saturday, June 2, 2007

The Formal Announcement

My in-laws are in town this weekend so Ben and I engineered it so that my parents would meet us all for a dinner Friday night at the New Rebozo, our favorite restaurant. With M&M staying with us, we couldn't prepare at home so at the restaurant Ben pretended to take Tyler for an early diaper change and put him in his new shirt that says "I'm the Big Brother" (with race cars on it--"blue cah! lello cah! owen cah!") and let the parents figure it out, which was great fun. They were all very excited, my mom teared up, Dad kept smiling, and Madalen was all aglow.

It's great for Tyler to see both sets of grandparents all at once. He loves to put names to things and people, so he points with his hand and announces "Jaja!" and "Popi!" and "Baba!" and "Nina!" (He's had trouble with "Granpa" and has just begun to call him "Popi" which he came up with on his own, probably inspired by the "pa" at the end of "granpa" and evolvled through "papa" and "papop" to "popi.") So at the restaurant he practiced calling Djadja and Popi their separate names and got them down. "Nina" is just a version of "Nana" he's developed.

I'm glad the cat is out of the bag with the family. Over the weekend we called Tyler's GG, Great Aunt Sharon, Aunt Helen and Uncle John, and I still owe calls to my cousins and my brother. Madalen called her sister Lenora, and so it goes. It was sooo hard to keep it a secret, and I'm glad to be "out" with how I really feel and what's going on. Don't have to hide my pregnancy books and whatnot when Nana comes over to watch Tyle, that sort of thing.

No comments: