Monday, June 11, 2007

First Big Doctor's Appointment

Well today was my first big Ob/Gyn appt. Overall disappointing. I was hoping that this would make the pregnancy feel more "real" and more exciting. Unfortunately too soon to here the heartbeat, which would help. Ben had to work so I took my mom and she watched over Tyler, who made friends with everyone there.

Pap very uncomfortable and I am quite sore. Also given many pamphlets about the many tests I could/should have to predict various birth defects, including downs syndrome, now that I am over 35. Found this overwhelming and scary. I don't know. I think I may do the less invasive ones, the combo blood tests and ultrasounds, etc. But it seems as if this pregnancy will be even more medicalized than the last one. Not too keen on that! Wish almost for an old-fashioned pregnancy, where I'm pampered and people say she has the "vapors" and nothing much happens and I don't get prodded, then 9 months later--ta da! You get what you get. You know?

Doc says I'm likely to develop the gestational diabetes earlier this time around. I believe it. She says I'm to go ahead and start with the diabetic diet now, except to keep those carbs, the ones I can keep down in my struggle w/ the nausea, to a minimum. Speaking of which, got a prescription for Zofran but I don't think my insurance will cover it. Will look into it. I'm pretty desperate for some kind of relief.

Unfortunately didn't get the best response when tried to talk about unsatisfactory birth experience I had last time. She says she won't let me go beyond 40 weeks again and wants to induce again, but last time I started on the cervidil and labor lasted 3 days! She says I had to have the cervidil because I wasn't ready for the petosin, but it sounds like she is willing to do it all over again. No way! So we are going to investigate other hospitals and doctors. Hate to start over again, but also disappointed in this doc in several other personal areas, and so, we will look.

I was a total wimp when they took blood. Three vials they took! Almost fainted, saw spots, then almost was sick. They called my mom in from the waiting room and Tyle was so excited to see me I felt better. He called Mom-Mom, Mom-Mom! and struggled out of the stroller and climbed me for a big hug. He's so wonderful. He's the best thing to ever happen to me. Times like that remind me why I want another one.

No comments: