Thursday, January 3, 2008

That Fed-Up Feeling

Apparently it's normal to get fed-up with pregnancy here at the end.

Personally I'm mostly sick of being sick. Looking back, I first caught the cold/series of colds I've been trading off with Ben and Tyler and day-care back on my blog entry of December 3rd. So yes, that's a month of being sick up to today. I was miserable last night, coughing all night and waking everybody up in the house repeatedly. This morning I coughed so much I was sick, and of course simultaneously ruined my pants and had to start all over washing up and getting dressed for work again. It's demoralizing. Last night I started to cry and Ben was very supportive and rubbed my back and tried to give me a pep talk about having a positive attitude so that my pregnancy is a better experience overall. I know he's right, intellectually, but it's hard.

I still have the ringing in my ears and the heartburn, the loose joints in my pelvis which have become more painful recently, sore belly and bosom (using old fashioned language ha ha), difficulty bending over, standing up, sitting up out of bed, and standing for too long, twingy carpal tunnel, some odd swelling, incontinence, constant fatigue, and mood swings, to name the main ones. I feel I could be much more accepting of all this if I felt well on top of it all. I'm sick of pricking my fingers to test my blood glucose levels, and I want sweets.

Mainly--and this is much more amusing--I have high irritability. Some times Ben accuses me of trying to pick a fight. But what do you do when everything he does irritates you? When everything your husband is doing is clearly wrong? Heh heh heh. (I know how bad that sounds!)

Over the weekend I decided to limit the calls I take. Sorry! Everyone has been calling to see if we've had the baby yet. Um, you'll get a call, we promise! Of course I appreciate the attention. I just am not handling it very well. So I let Ben take the calls. I'm not at all reasonable, you know. It's just as likely that if no-one was calling I'd be hurt, so you can't win. Sometimes what sets me off is too much cheerfulness and excitement. Or reassurances that I'm really okay if I'm expressing being fed up. And Trina, honey, you can "call twice a day until I have that baby" if you want, bless your heart (as our Grandma would say), but if you do that, you'll have to be happy with getting Ben! (You know I love you!) Of course our parents always get thru to one or both of us. And they are being good sports about this. (Kudos to Madalen who actually made me laugh, even after I answered the phone with "be careful, I might bite your head off." We're getting along great!)

For the record, I've gone thru my cell phone's address book and made sure it was filled with everyone's number.

Another very annoying this is, what on earth can I respond to "so you're still pregnant!" Um, yes, this is me, and this is my belly, and clearly I'm still pregnant. Congratulations on your keen observation skills! That's what I'd like to say to coworkers who say that to me! Hehe. Great way for me to keep friendly, huh?

Another special joy is the reactions I'm getting from strangers. Strangers! On my way to the doctor, in elevators or hallways, in brief visits to small, managable stores like Walgreens, I get comments and big, saucer-eyed looks. One woman had the audacity to ask if I had twins. 'Cause I'm so huge. Then she gave my belly a look like she didn't believe me. This one gal in the elevator didn't even have anything cute to say, she demanded my due date and just seemed afraid I'd give birth right there and then. So now I'm apparently scaring people!

You know, I should play it up. When I get the saucer-eyed looks, I should stop and rub my belly and do some labor breathing, really give them a scare! Heh.

If you think of any other scare tactics or funny sarcastic replies I could prepare, let me know!

No comments: