Thursday, January 10, 2008

It's a Girl!!!

I'm sitting in bed at the hospital typing on a little keypad attached to the nurse caller thingie--you know, the device by the bed that you call the nurse with (Ben says, the device you push to make the nurses not come, heh). I'm seeing the blog entry on a big, wide-screen TV. Cool,huh? We've just ordered room service and the food is fantastic. Ben is reading what I write and making sarcastic comments from the dad-bench. Oh, sorry, he says they are "snide or snarky." I sit corrected. "And the bed is an uncomfortable couch that folds out into an even more uncomfortable bed." Little Megan is in her hospital bassinette by the bed. Ben describes this as a "deluxe petri dish." We are tired and a little slap happy.

Megan Hillary was born yesterday, January 9th at 1:21 in the afternoon after a bizarre labor I'll have to describe another time. She was 7lbs 12oz, and 18 inches. She's amazingly tiny. I can't believe Tyler was ever this small. Getting a latch on is again a problem, but we are working through it best we can with our doula
helping. We haven't seen the lactation consultants rumored to work here yet, despite numorous requests and orders for them written into our records in the system here. But she will not be dehydrated like Tyler was. I've brought my breast pump and whenever she doesn't get a latch (it's hit and miss) I pump and she takes colostrum by syringe now. She dislikes two different kinds of bottle nipples already, one of which I had special ordered b/c it is shaped like a breast. She wants the real thing.

Megan looks like no-one I know, but she's really beautiful. Ben adds "in a squishy baby kind of way." Her newest nickname is "scrunchy face." This is in addition to Megalon and Megaweapon, the earlier Scumby of course, and, since Tyler is "boogie boy" we've decided she will be "disco girl." She has a round face, very dark eyes, wisps of brown hair, little rosebud lips, and mini Mobley ears. She has a pink complection and is a little rashy around her face which is already fading. We are both really into her.

...Megan is smacking her lips. Gotta go. Wish me luck!

No comments: