Monday, September 17, 2007

Dreaming of the Baby (A Dream Journal)

I've begun to dream about the baby. I should have shared the first one when it happened, because now I don't remember the exact day it was, but I think it was just last week.

Dream 1 (last week):

I'm going through the labor, and it's a boy! He has brown hair and very round eyes and chubby cheeks. One problem: his foreskin is attached to his abdomen and has to be corrected. They say his penis is underdeveloped and offer surgery to make him a girl. I don't like the idea. I'm holding him and talking to him, he's beautiful.

Dream 2 (end of last week):

It's a girl! My mother and a group of aunts disapprove of my name choice, however, and write in a name of their choice on the birth certificate. I discover this after being home, and make a trip back to the hospital to try to catch the paperwork before it gets sent to the county. The women are following me, trying to talk me out of it. In the entrance I'm caught up in some kind of line of people however that turns out to be a jury duty line, and no-one believes me that I'm not on jury duty and some bouncers force me to stay. The judge in charge turns out to be a vampire queen and I have to do battle with her. At this point I learn I have super powers and can fly. I fly up to her secret hideout in the rafters of the building and steal her diary. In a big battle worthy of the Spiderman movies, the vampire queen traps me in a net over the building because she's learned my secret flying ability, and captures me and weighs me down. Turns out they have a friend of mine in custody who betrayed me to them, and they've cut his legs off at the knees, and are thinking of doing it to me. I get a visit from the group of family women (who are caring for the baby in my absence) and this time Grandma is with them. (This is the Grandma Guest I just lost.) Grandma is so vibrant! She shines, in a bright red sweater, and shining silver hair and flushed cheeks. I slip the diary to her and urge her in whispers not to tell a soul, but take it to a newspaper and police out of town since the local authorities are in the vampire queen's pocket. I wake up missing Grandma terribly. And mysteriously frustrated with my mom.

Dream 3 (last night):

It's a girl, again! But she is premature. She's so tiny, so precious, thin and fetal-looking but also very beautiful. I'm so proud and I am holding her and feeding her with a special dropper/bottle thing. She is so delicate. I'm just all aglow. I'm going to bring her to work to show her off to my coworkers, and when I get in the car the new regulations are that she rides in a little basket outside the car window (perhaps a better way of showing "baby on board"??). I worry about her and reach over to her little hand while driving, and it is so little and fine-featured and soft... But she reacts to my touch and wiggles, and the wind catches her and throws her up against the window. So I'm trying to lower the window, slow the car while in traffic, and grab her and bring her inside the car safely, all at the same time. I wake up in a cold sweat of anxiety.

Dream 4 (after falling back asleep last night after the last dream):

Ben and I are getting ready for bed, we're living in the house I grew up in, in Decatur Illinois. Suddenly we remember that we were supposed to report to the hospital for me to be induced that afternoon at 3pm, and we're hours late! We rush around trying to pack, and I can't find anything. I'm searching for my robe, and the baby clothes I've picked to take to the hospital. Ben is looking for the infant car seat. We wake my mom, who is living in a room across the hall. Suddenly the lights go out. I can't tell if I'm blind or if there's just no light. In every room I flip the switch and nothing happens. I panic.

No comments: