Monday, November 19, 2007

A Fun Weekend!

Saturday night my friend Michelle and I combined our birthdays for a joint party. We were pretty disappointed that, even counting ourselves and our spouses, there were only 8 people there. We came close to canceling several times. In the end we made it a super-casual pajama party and ordered pizza, to make our lives as easy as possible. And I cheated as much as possible on the cleaning!

It turned out to be just the right mix of people, and I had a great time. We played board games, and talked music and MST3K shows and other things in common, and turns out Brett and Ben both juggle so they practiced handing off and knocking balls all over the place. Before his own bedtime Tyler came down in his jammies and charmed everyone, handing toys to Auntie Michelle and giggling at Ann who, he was disappointed to see, did not have her vampire teeth in (last time he saw her it was Halloween), and demanding playtime and book readings from his "Uncle" Kevin, who he dragged around by the hand and told where to sit. He never cried or was overwhelmed by the people and played by himself while we talked adult talk. I made a diabetic cake, a fudgy zucchini cake that was absolutely delicious and I had a whole peice and my blood sugar was fine! I had so much fun.

Sunday was a friend's baby shower, and I got to see several old friends I haven't seen in a while, and chat with several other very pregnant women my age, and sit and eat and play the baby shower games while Ben chased Tyler everywhere. Not the same high as my party, but a great time was had. I was out and about and social and it felt good.

I must say I felt like a whole person and everything, not just a fatigued vessel waiting to give birth and move on, you know? I got my hair cut on Saturday and it looks great. I even had some romantic moments w/ my husband, who I usually push away, poor guy, as I feel so unattractive and unlovable and grumpy and tired all the time. I even had a moment when I looked at my figure in the big bathroom mirror before my shower and thought, I look pretty good pregnant--certainly not a model ready for Fit Pregnancy magazine or something, but like . . . my big belly makes sense this way, I'm sort of like a whole picture, in context, in focus for once. If you understand me. It's hard to explain. But, for a moment, I felt nice. Or maybe it was the haircut, heh heh heh.

Overall it was an awesome weekend.

No comments: